Colonist Book next, please!

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#21 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

Entertainer (Distract them with your fan dance!)

Lieutenant Uhura, take it away!

#22 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

It's kindof odd that since EotE leans so heavily on the smuggler role for piloting that they wouldn't have expanded that first.

What three new jobs could they make for that I wonder...

Mastermind (Leader Role)

Gunslinger (Ranged-Light Master)

?????

Cassanova? (Ultra lover not fighter)

Pirate? (Prepare for boarding!)

I would love for there to be a Pirate focused book, or class. And IMO with AOR coming out now is the perfect time for a Smuggler or Pirate focused book since it would be very easy to slide a pirate or smuggling group over to the Rebel Alliance for those groups that wish to move their EOTE parties into AOR.

Still none of the books have disappointed me so far so I'll probably like whatever they release next.

#23 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

How about:

Sheriff? (Social/ranged light peacekeeper)

I could really get behind this. Granted I could possibly see it as a Bounty Hunter slot too.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#24 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

I least interested in the Smuggler book because I think the game already puts too much attention on smugglers. I'm pretty sure it's a Han Solo thing, but I doubt Age will be similarly heavily weighted for Diplomats (Leia's presumed career).

• Maelora likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#25 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

It's kindof odd that since EotE leans so heavily on the smuggler role for piloting that they wouldn't have expanded that first.

What three new jobs could they make for that I wonder...

Mastermind (Leader Role)

Gunslinger (Ranged-Light Master)

?????

Cassanova? (Ultra lover not fighter)

Pirate? (Prepare for boarding!)

Gambler I would think would be a salute to Lando.  

Escape Artist maybe.

Con Man.

Gunslinger sounds cool.

I have to be honest, I would like the Smuggler book next but honestly Colonist does need it most I think.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#26 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

Entertainer has to be a given, surely.

Music is so fundamental to Star Wars, from the subtle character motifs to the big song and dance numbers.  Between ortolan snare drums, kloo horns and dancing twi'leks, there's something for all tastes.

The soundtracks themselves are so iconic, I couldn't imagine the movies without them.

• Joker Two likes this

#27 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

What else for colonist?

I wouldn't mind seeing a 'pet class', but it feels like it would have been better in Explorer; feels mor elike a fringe thing than a Core world thing.

Maybe some kind of civilian policeman, as some have suggested, more inclined to keep the peace than go in all guns blazing?

I felt sure we were going to see more AoR classes (Ambassador and Scientist maybe) but thankfully Dangerous Covenants didn't go that route, and it seems like FFG are trying to keep reprints to a minimum.  

#28 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

Music is so fundamental to Star Wars, from the subtle character motifs to the big song and dance numbers.  Between ortolan snare drums, kloo horns and dancing twi'leks, there's something for all tastes.

The soundtracks themselves are so iconic, I couldn't imagine the movies without them.

And all that jizz too!

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#29 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:49 AM

I see your point, but honestly, I dont see how that would be benifical to the group. As Seiito said, the scounderal is basicly your conman so if you need someone to go undercover, he/she is your guy/gal. 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#30 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

I see your point, but honestly, I dont see how that would be benifical to the group. As Seiito said, the scounderal is basicly your conman so if you need someone to go undercover, he/she is your guy/gal. 

It depends on what kind of group you're talking about. To a group based around the Hired Gun or a band of Mercenaries or Bounty Hunters, an Archaeologist or a Politico might not be that beneficial. But to a group of explorers, an Archaeologist is just the thing.

Likewise you could have a group who might actually be one or more musicians who travel around and get into adventures.

Or a group on the run could use a successful or influential musician as a way in to various places they couldn't get into otherwise. Similar to how Inara's influence helps the crew of Serenity because she's got social influence they don't have.

Those are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#31 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:22 AM

It depends on what kind of group you're talking about. To a group based around the Hired Gun or a band of Mercenaries or Bounty Hunters, an Archaeologist or a Politico might not be that beneficial. But to a group of explorers, an Archaeologist is just the thing.

Likewise you could have a group who might actually be one or more musicians who travel around and get into adventures.

Or a group on the run could use a successful or influential musician as a way in to various places they couldn't get into otherwise. Similar to how Inara's influence helps the crew of Serenity because she's got social influence they don't have.

Those are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

Very true. For a non-combat group there are deffently some ways to make it work.

FootNote's Custom Droids

#32 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:51 AM

This is why i suggested the three I did.

Entertainer is a logical spec. because of what we see in the films.

The herder I suggested as a spec that focuses on dealing with animals, whether nerf or nexu, they have a way with them -able to tame and ride most creatures. Also a pet class of sorts, with talents for dealing with a companion creature.

The ranger (named for antarian rangers in eu) are colonists that defend and protect a colony from any threats. Equal parts lawman , hunter and mediator.
  • MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving and Maelora like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#33 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:23 AM

I'd be happy with those three, TBS.

But I'm kinda doubting we'd see the other two; mainly because of FFG's misleading career title of 'Colonist'.

Here it means 'educated Core Worlder'.  Not a coloniser in the traditional sense, a tough and hardy settler taming the wild frontier.  

Edited by Maelora, 01 March 2014 - 06:24 AM.

#34 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:36 AM

I'd be happy with those three, TBS.

But I'm kinda doubting we'd see the other two; mainly because of FFG's misleading career title of 'Colonist'.

Here it means 'educated Core Worlder'.  Not a coloniser in the traditional sense, a tough and hardy settler taming the wild frontier.  

I wont lie, I like the ranger. I could see that in bounty hunter or colonist though.

FootNote's Custom Droids

#35 Spjork

Spjork

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I think Colonist might be a good place to drop in a new Brawl/Melee spec. Something with a little more finesse than the Marauder's heavy hitter. A Duelist, maybe. Open enough to interpretation to include spoiled, adventure-seeking nobles and wandering martial artists.

And for my own wishes, I'd love to see an Infiltrator spec or something along those lines. A sneak who's a little more white collar than the Assassins and Thieves already populating the galaxy. Think royal agents, corporate fixers, etc.

#36 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

I think Colonist might be a good place to drop in a new Brawl/Melee spec. Something with a little more finesse than the Marauder's heavy hitter. A Duelist, maybe. Open enough to interpretation to include spoiled, adventure-seeking nobles and wandering martial artists.

And for my own wishes, I'd love to see an Infiltrator spec or something along those lines. A sneak who's a little more white collar than the Assassins and Thieves already populating the galaxy. Think royal agents, corporate fixers, etc.

If you look at the career description in the CRB though without saying it in as many words, it basically lays it out that colonists are not fighters.  They're supposedly bringing their better education and smarts to bear in order to accomplish things in their new world.  I think colonist needs the most help but with the description in the CRB it just seems tough to me for expansion to be meaningful.

Some mentioned specs like miner which isn't a bad idea, but it gets hard if you just think in terms of professionals moving to the Rim.  You already have a tech career so it seems like that rules out a great deal for colonist. There's entertainer, which is probably a good idea, maybe a blend of social skills with some sleight of hand deception stuff, the singer, the magician, the comedian, etc.  What kind of core worlder heads out to the Rim that you can point to as a career?  I thought maybe a Missionary as well, but really that's all a Politico is.  There are a ton of jobs that might go for colonies, I just don't think many people want to play moisture farmer as an adventurer....

• DavenQuint likes this

#37 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:26 AM

I don't think the Entertainer concept is bad, I just don't think it necessarily comports itself to an entirely new career specialization. Music and dance is certainly a part of Star Wars, but for purposes of the game and life on the Edge of the Empire, I don't think it makes for the most compelling addition. I wouldn't be upset if it was included--I would just find it odd.

The Adventure-seeking Noble (or Baron) that Spjork mentioned should definitely be one of the new options. Thus far the Colonist doesn't have a "wealthy patron" concept--someone who keeps the PCs operations going through his deep pockets and affluence. Trader comes the closest, but the Trader is more about wheeling and dealing, exploring new markets, and negotiating skills. A Noble/Baron would be about already having access to wealth and using that wealth/prestige to make his way out on the Rim and push his agenda.

As described in the Core Rulebook, the three specializations now are the Doctor (Gift of Healing), Politico (Gift of Leadership), and Scholar (Gift of Knowledge). The Noble/Baron would have the Gift of Affluence or Gift of Wealth.

Another nice addition that would fit in nicely with the Colonist include an officer or Intellect-based tactician--maybe call the specialization the Strategist. This specialization could focus on those who have learned or graduated from the myriad martial academies in the Core who are often times needed for their insights into how to end insurrections (or incite them) or how to defeat/subjugate indigenous forces on a newly discovered world rich with resources. Maybe these individuals are Imperial-trained, former Imperials, or part of planetary-based academies serving their world or system's defense forces (i.e. CorSec or the Anaxes War College). Regardless of their background, they are trained in tactics and strategy and have been pacifying unruly worlds and fending off threats out on the Rim and frontier for millennia. The Strategist would have the Gift of Analysis.

You could even add a new skill to the game with Knowledge (Warfare).

Another specialization that I'd include would be a little grittier. Conceptually, I'd go for someone who has been exiled, who was once on top of the galaxy, but has since fallen so far. Possibly call this specialization the Outcast. He or she would have some of the leadership qualities of other Colonist specializations, but also some of the practical skills that come from having been forced to leave behind everything you once knew. The Outcast would have the Gift of Understanding.

So in the end you'd have a Colonist profession that was pretty complete.

Colonist

• Baron-relies on his wealth/prestige to make his way. Gift of Affluence. 
  • Doctor-uses his medical skills and capabilities. Gift of Healing. 
  • Outcast-uses his past experiences to forge his way forward. Gift of Understanding.
  • Politico-relies on his leadership skills and political instincts. Gift of Leadership.
  • Scholar-utilizes his vast knowledge and educational background to get ahead. Gift of Knowledge.
  • Strategist-uses his martial training and military mind to achieve his goals. Gift of Analysis.

There! Not hard at all to develop a Colonist Sourcebook expansion. ;)

Edited by DavenQuint, 01 March 2014 - 11:32 AM.

• Desslok likes this

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

#38 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

But you're missing the point of the Colonist. The colonist is about someone being out of place on the fringes--hence the Scholar, Politico, and Doctor classes. They come form the Core (for the most part) and thus bring with them the things that are prevalent in the more...civilized...parts of the galaxy.

It's right in the text of the Colonist in the Core Rulebook. 

Obviously the Baron would not solely be based on wealth. It would be wealth and prestige--someone of royalty or pseudo-royalty who has the means to move his agenda in parts of the galaxy unused to such power and resourcefulness. 

The Trader is not wealth-based. The Trader is discovery-based and about bartering/negotiating/finding new markets out on the fringes. The Baron would be about using resources and existing prestige to accomplish his goals.

Scholar in no way fills the role of the Strategist. The Scholar's role right now is purely about Intellect and education-orientation and doesn't cross into the realm of warfare. The Strategist would actually have some martial training in addition to his Intellect-based abilities.

Edited by DavenQuint, 01 March 2014 - 11:51 AM.

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

#39 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Distinctions should be made to emphasize an actual role rather than a background. A role is what a character does, how he fits into the world. Baron and the like are titles, backgrounds. There's already a place for being rich, the High and Mighty origin, so having a "baron" role would be absolutely redundant. What you do makes you a politico, big game hunter, merchant, etc. and if a Baron wants to wield wealth, make him a Merchant, if he wants to wield influence, make him a Politico.

I'm fully aware of such distinctions, but FFG doesn't make them. The Archaeologist is no more a role than it is a background. It's both. Just like Politico. Just like Scholar. Just like Doctor. The same as a Strategist would be both a role and a background. It all weaves together.

The roles that a Baron, Strategist, and Outcast would serve are already there, but I'll flesh them out for you.

Baron: What he/she does is use money and resources that come from his/her background as an affluent Core Worlder to advance his/her agenda. This specialization would be heavy on tapping resources, credit lines, contacts, and using social-based skills to inspire and assist other PCs.

Outcast: What he/she does is use his experience as a former member of high society in conjunction with his newfound practical skills (maybe he's a miner/laborer now?) to fuel his new life. This specialization would be a hybrid that combined social-based talents with grittier manual skills and mental fortitude to have a well-rounded alternative.

Strategist: What he/she does is use his martial training and tactical mind to accomplish his mission out on the Rim (or elsewhere). This specialization would be heavy on tactical abilities, Intellect-based combat, buffing PC's in combat encounters, and unorthodox approaches to life on the Rim.

Edited by DavenQuint, 01 March 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#40 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

I think if you fuse Baron and Outcast and import Trader in some fashion with a couple new spec specific talents, that makes a decent option.  Problem with saying social skills is the devs threw the net pretty wide with Politico and that just covers a lot of ground.

Strategist sounds decent.  Side step combat skills and incorporate talents like Field Commander, Heightened Awareness, Fire Control and Command and that's a pretty good idea.

The whole Sheriff or Ranger idea is great but I just think that's more suited to BH imo.

• DavenQuint likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS