• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LonePaladin

LonePaladin

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

The phrasing of the Medicine skill is a little vague. Specifically, this part:

...a character may attempt only one Medicine check per week when helping a character to recover from critical wounds.

The entry under the Recovery and Healing section doesn't help either:

A character may attempt one Medicine check per week per Critical Injury.

The problem is, this implies that if someone has a Critical Injury, every other character in the group can make an attempt to fix it — that if someone fails, someone else can step in and try it themselves.

This just makes me think of how President Garfield suffered for 80 days under the unwashed hands of clueless doctors before finally dying.

Am I right in assuming that this is supposed to mean that a character with a critical injury can only be treated once a week, no matter how many people are present?

• cvtheoman likes this

#2 Embery

Embery

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Well, taking everything word by word.

...a character may attempt only one Medicine check per week when helping a character to recover from critical wounds.

A character may attempt one Medicine check per week per Critical Injury.

I assume, that you are right, that all characters can try to make Medicine check and make that poor bastard suffer for long time.

Edit: I and copy-paste aint good friends.

Edited by Embery, 28 February 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#3 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

I'd let 'em.  Mainly because players are more inclined to do risky stuff when they don't have semi-permanent crap against them - and characters taking risks = fun.

But if you want to discourage it (without using GM veto) say that ALL Threat one guy generates gets converted to Setback dice for the next guy's roll.

Edited by Col. Orange, 28 February 2014 - 08:46 AM.

• UHF and Embery like this

What's written above is meant with love

#4 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

I think the intent is that a character with a crit has one chance per week for another character to make a Med check to fix it (along with the injured character's own Resilience check).

This is one of those places where the common sense and discretion that the writers continually emphasize really comes into play.  As IRL, the frequency of surgery and such depends on the patient's ability to receive treatment, no how many doctors are standing around.

• UHF, progressions and Tear44 like this

Math is such a tool.

#5 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:58 PM

I think the intent is that a character with a crit has one chance per week for another character to make a Med check to fix it (along with the injured character's own Resilience check).

This is one of those places where the common sense and discretion that the writers continually emphasize really comes into play.  As IRL, the frequency of surgery and such depends on the patient's ability to receive treatment, no how many doctors are standing around.

This is how I interpret it as well.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#6 InOzWeTrust

InOzWeTrust

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

I'd impose setbacks personally for anyone with a lower Medicine skill attempting to heal an already attempted Critical Injury. 1 Setback per Medicine skill difference, 1 Setback per previously failed attempt.

Like if the Doctor fails and the Marauder REALLY wants to try his hand at it without any ranks it'd be something close to 4 setbacks and you can bet I'd upgrade the check with a Destiny point for Despair potential.

It's all reasonable to be honest, honestly it would require a better doctor than the one that failed to try again in my sessions.

#7 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

My guys have a Bacta Tank... jacuzzi!

It's heated, pimped out and everything! Well... It must be, because dang if there isn't line up for a dip after every game session. (Hmm... Maybe hey just want to see the Twilek recover... She's hot.)

Note that the frequency of medicine checks is the same for the resiliency checks for self healing.

Medicine checks are best aided with equipment and facilities.
  • Col. Orange likes this

#8 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:28 AM

and cocktails.

Edited by Col. Orange, 10 March 2014 - 08:19 AM.

• UHF likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

and coctails.

It's an automatic upgrade or boost die or something I think..........

• Col. Orange and UHF like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS