Photo

Dangerous Covenants gives us the secret of sucky stormtroopers.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

The blaster rifle used by stormtroopers has a pistol grip attachment allowing it to be wielded with one hand (as shown in Episode IV). In the game this changes the weapon over to using Ranged (Light). Stormtroopers do not have Ranged (Light) as a skill. Perhaps this is why they couldn't hit anybody...

• Venthrac, Doc, the Weasel, Liloki and 15 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

This is a win!

Be well,

Sham

#3 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:24 AM

Doh!
Obsidian Portal:Unforeseen Fates

#4 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:35 AM

Well, there's this. :ph34r:

• jordiver2, Embery, Colyer and 2 others like this

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#5 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

Or they were just making a show of it, letting the gang escape in a new hope.
  • Lord Zack likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#6 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

Some of you guys might be taking the thread a bit too seriously. :P

• kaosoe likes this

#7 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:54 AM

Nice this one is now official. Do they also make it change the sound of the blaster to that of a .44 mag like in the movies?

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#8 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

So I am to assume then that there are more attachments available in Dangerous Covenants?

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#9 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

So I am to assume then that there are more attachments available in Dangerous Covenants?

It appears so. Along with some additional starship add ons as well. There's a list on the last page or so of the other Dangerous Covenants release thread.

#10 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:19 AM

Yep. Not with book at the moment, but there are a good number of them. The pistol grip on a carbine is going to be really popular for Ranged (Light) guys wanting rifle firepower (but not range).

There are a few starship attachments too, including a way to put an oversized weapon on a smaller hull and some kind of special missiles.

There is also a heavy repeating blaster that can be used Rambo-style with the right Talents.

#11 jerrypocalypse

jerrypocalypse

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

From the other thread so people won't have to go between them as often :P : 

Gene-lock - weapon only fires for specific individual - mod option for self destruct
Laser sight - auto advantage on successful combat check
Pistol grip - weapon skill changes to ranged light but add a black die if wielded one handed. Also shortens too medium range
Missile system - enables weapon to fire rockets or missiles
Wrist mount - weapon worn on wrist

Armor attachments:
Med systems - once per session incidental use of self stim pack and adds blue die to all medicine checks on wearer
Hands free weapon system - mounted weapon
Internal long range com link
Integrated scanner - functions like general purpose scanner and adds blue die to perception to detect movement
Range finder - adds talent sniper shot
Targeting computer - add blue die to all long and medium ranged attacks.

Edited by jerrypocalypse, 28 February 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#12 ScooterinAB

ScooterinAB

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

I recently looked up the armor stats for laminate armor, which explains the second part of why Storm Troopers are garbage. Not only can they not hit anything more than a foot away, but their armor provides almost no protection.

Storm Troopers are the butt of the Galaxy's jokes once again. Huzzah.

#13 CrunchyDemon

CrunchyDemon

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Mind blown, it all makes sense now.

Proud member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#14 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Heh, Jeg, my long-time friend Josh Mueller (CO of the Georgia 501st Garrison) actually created that. It's everywhere now. Cool to see it in the wild.

• Jegergryte likes this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#15 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:01 PM

Heh, Jeg, my long-time friend Josh Mueller (CO of the Georgia 501st Garrison) actually created that. It's everywhere now. Cool to see it in the wild.

That's interesting. I used to be in the 501st Garrison in Georgia. Small world.

• KRKappel likes this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#16 UHF

UHF

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

You put stuff like this on the internet... And Lord Vader might wise up.

#17 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

Looking at props, don't almost all Star Wars blaster rifles/carbines have pistol grips? Are we going to have to ignore that the pistol grip on an E-11 looks just like the pistol grips on the A295, A280, DLT-19, DLT-20,  etc or is it now going to be near impossible to find a blaster rifle in-universe example that actually uses Ranged (heavy)?

Edited by Sturn, 02 March 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#18 Brother Orpheo

Brother Orpheo

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Think of weapons like blaster rifles as having traditional rifle grips, rather than the modernized grip that many assault weapons possess. The modification of a pistol grip would then radically alter the weapon's profile. The difference would be something like this: http://m1family.com/.../1297817677.jpg Props and artwork aren't necessarily properly representing a "stock" item as presented in EoE.

Edited by Brother Orpheo, 02 March 2014 - 10:11 AM.

=][=

#19 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

rather than the modernized grip that many assault weapons possess.

Just a minor point: You're thinking of the term "assault rifle," which is a rifle that fires an intermediate cartridge, contains as detachable magazine, and is capable of select fire. There's essentially no widely accepted definition of "assault weapon." Presumably any and every weapon could be defined as an "assault weapon," so as a term it is largely useless.

Without having seen the book yet, I can't really comment on how I think the pistol grip was intended to work. It's interesting to note, however, that a pistol grip on a rifle really only aids the shooter ergonomically if firing a rifle in the shouldered position. The ergonomic advantage of a pistol grip is immediately lost when you fire from the hip or some other wildly inaccurate position.

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#20 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Agree position of your rear hand on a grip really has nothing to do with making a weapon a "lighter" one. The T-21, a light repeating blaster, and even the E-Web heavy repeater both have pistol grips. It's really a misnomer when they are called "pistol" grips that perhaps the author(s) of Dangerous Covenants didn't realize and thought it makes any weapon shoot like a pistol. They don't. It just tilts your trigger finger hand a very slight bit. Perhaps they should have not bothered with a "Pistol Grip" attachment since almost every blaster in Star Wars already has such and instead went with a Smooth Grip (the oddity) as an attachment or even a Forearm Grip.

Yes I know it's a game and I hate to be negative when the system is my favorite, ever. But, it should at least have a little connection with reality. I also don't want them to add a Butterfly Trigger attachment which causes pretty winged insects to fly about mesmorizing your opponents instead of reducing Cumbersome for mounted repeaters.

Edited by Sturn, 02 March 2014 - 04:52 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS