Klatooinian skill stacking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

Klatooinians get one rank in Brawl, Ranged (Heavy), or Ranged (Light) plus one rank in a non-career skill. Can they stack those two ranks if the selected skill is non-career?

For example, can a Hired Gun (Marauder) elect to take a rank of Ranged (Heavy) and then a second rank in the same since it's non-career?

If this is allowed, the Klatooinians are nice for adding a solid rank 2 combat skill to careers that lack them.

In terms of XP, stacking would give a non-career rank 2 which is worth 25 XP. This is somewhat better than the value of the human skills, but it's limited to three skill choices and only an option if the chosen skill is non-career.

Right now I'm in favor of allowing them to stack. Anybody else have an opinion?

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#2 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:27 AM

Yeah, they'd stack.

#3 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

The only thing I see preventing such would be the incurred XP, for out of career skills, which they wont be accumulating given the "free non career skill".  The racial ability would stack, not to go above rank 2, as it probably states. 

That would be kinda hard to argue when stacked against the need to bump stats as much as humanly possible, but to each their own.

As you have the books, any chance of you giving me the species info?  I have a dude making a guy tomorrow, and my FLGS hasn't gotten the book in yet.  I'd like to present him with all the available species, so I'd need the info on the new 3.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Shamrock, 28 February 2014 - 03:21 AM.

Be well,

Sham

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:52 AM

I'm at work, but the Klatooinians are:

2/3/2/2/1/2, 10+B, 10+W, 100 XP, one rank Brawl or Ranged (Heavy) or Ranged (Light), one rank non-career skill

Not super-specialized, but pretty flexible all around with a bit of a pro-combat leaning.

#5 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

Awesome Daze, Thank you!  When you have time can you jot me down the other two (weequay and Agua).  No rush, won't need them until tomorrow afternoon.  

Again, thanks, good lookin out.

Be well,

Sham

#6 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:24 AM

I'm at work, but the Klatooinians are:

2/3/2/2/1/2, 10+B, 10+W, 100 XP, one rank Brawl or Ranged (Heavy) or Ranged (Light), one rank non-career skill

Not super-specialized, but pretty flexible all around with a bit of a pro-combat leaning.

They are actually set up to be pretty awesome.  I don't know of any class that gets all three of those skills, so no matter what they are going to be more versatile from the get go, in combat skills, at least.   I'm sure after a few games worth of xp it will hardly be noticeable, but  that's a pretty awesome "out of the gate" set-up.  More importantly, they aren't over-gimped like they were in SAGA, and they adhere to the mythos.  Very happy with them.

• lupex likes this

Be well,

Sham

#7 tuco

tuco

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Awesome Daze, Thank you!  When you have time can you jot me down the other two (weequay and Agua).  No rush, won't need them until tomorrow afternoon.  

Again, thanks, good lookin out.

http://community.fan...hipping/page-10

Scroll down to about the third or so post on this page.

#8 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

How do Klatooinian stats "adhere to the mythos"? I wasn't under the impression that they were overly agile. In fact, the 3 Agility has been striking me as odd since I first saw it yesterday...

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

#9 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

How do Klatooinian stats "adhere to the mythos"? I wasn't under the impression that they were overly agile. In fact, the 3 Agility has been striking me as odd since I first saw it yesterday...

I think FFG's design is less about "adhering to the mythos" and more about "what would be cool for the players?"

As for the OP's question, I'd say they would stack, and you could use them to get two ranks in a Brawl or Ranged.  Though I get the feeling that the Klatoonians were written more with the Hired Gun career in mind than any other career, so the notion of a combat skill being a non-career doesn't seem to have been a consideration.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#10 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

I think FFG's design is less about "adhering to the mythos" and more about "what would be cool for the players?"

As for the OP's question, I'd say they would stack, and you could use them to get two ranks in a Brawl or Ranged.  Though I get the feeling that the Klatoonians were written more with the Hired Gun career in mind than any other career, so the notion of a combat skill being a non-career doesn't seem to have been a consideration.

Like my example shows, a Hired Gun (Marauder) does not have Ranged (Heavy) as a career skill, so a Klatooinian starting there can benefit from Ranged (Heavy) 2 at the start using the species skill adds alone.

#11 DavenQuint

DavenQuint

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

That has both pros and cons I suppose. One thing FFG definitely has right is the fact that Klatooinians are fighters--they've been servant warriors for the Hutts for twenty-five millennia!

I actually approve of the three species selections and think they all make sense. I just find the 3 Agility weird. Oh well. Looking forward to getting this baby next week!

"You can always count on a Hutt to do whatever is in his best interest--even when it's not." -Colten Zurey

#12 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:36 PM

Going off Castas, the only Klatooinian we ever really saw in action.  Course he was kinda a chicken, and not the brightest.   You can't base if off Kithaba and Barada because they weren't in it long enough and they were fighting a jedi. 

One could point to Tarados as well, but he was way in the back, and hard to spot. 

Both the jedi, and the bounty hunter mentioned above would require agility.  Thus the only things I've ever personally seen them do, with any credit, are agility roles. So to me, it fits the mythos, while not over gimping them.  SAGA had them at a net -2, which I felt never took into account the other examples (besides Jabba's guards).  I can see a neg to int, or the neg to wis, but the double neg just seemed excessive. 

Course, I don't have the book, yet, so I can't read the write up and see their rational, if any.

Edited by Shamrock, 28 February 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Be well,

Sham

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS