DROIDS

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Since anyone can buy a Droid with the prices in the rulebook, or use make up rules to build one, I have no problem just letting the PC's have an NPC droid in their crew. I'd just use the NPC stats.

As for adding things to droids, upgrading, etc., I think I'd use the weapon and vehicle modification rules as a basis, and go from there. Certainly it would require money and/or parts and a Mechanics roll (or computers for the brain.)

Adding something to a droid that could be purchased separately in the  book anyway (say a scanner or something) isn't really going to unbalance the game, so just narratively make it part of the droid.

True enough. But with the remote I would effectively be turning it into a droid when before its basically treated as a piece of equipment. Granted the only thing I would want it to be able to do is slice computers, like R2D2 did. Thinking about it... it might be better if I simply narrated it and simply had it giving me a boost die?

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#22 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

A Droid could technically have the remote as a "built-in" piece of gear. Basically it would be an extension of the Droid.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#23 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

A Droid could technically have the remote as a "built-in" piece of gear. Basically it would be an extension of the Droid.

True, but I think price wise I think my best option is to have a remote and upgrade it so its more of a multitool. I probably won't be able to buy an actual droid for a while, but as soon as we get to a brake point I can get a remote and depending on if the GM permits me to upgrade the remote. 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#24 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:42 AM

What's the deal with the naming conventions of the R-model astromech droids? R2 was clearly top-shelf in Episode 1, but during the clone wars Mace Wendu has an "R6." R2s traitorous replacement was that golden R3 model for a couple of episodes, which is feasible, but unless there's a naming thing going on when owners customize their droids (+1 to naming after each major update) I don't see a system behind different surnames for droids that are the same model. Narratively it makes sense to have R2 be the R2, since having several of them in one scene would confuse things, but if one refers to it as an R2 unit there could be an R2-A1 or R2-Z9 or any number of name mixes to ensure that we don't have to wonder why a droid 4 generations in advance is working next to its not-significantly-younger "sibling."

I have a friend that actually explained this to me. I'll see if I can find out from him where he got his info.

Edited by Raistlinrox, 05 March 2014 - 03:42 AM.

#25 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:36 AM

What's the deal with the naming conventions of the R-model astromech droids? R2 was clearly top-shelf in Episode 1, but during the clone wars Mace Wendu has an "R6." R2s traitorous replacement was that golden R3 model for a couple of episodes, which is feasible, but unless there's a naming thing going on when owners customize their droids (+1 to naming after each major update) I don't see a system behind different surnames for droids that are the same model. Narratively it makes sense to have R2 be the R2, since having several of them in one scene would confuse things, but if one refers to it as an R2 unit there could be an R2-A1 or R2-Z9 or any number of name mixes to ensure that we don't have to wonder why a droid 4 generations in advance is working next to its not-significantly-younger "sibling."

The R-series.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#26 JasonRR

JasonRR

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I don't know if this will really help you, but this is what we've done in the campaign I am playing a mechanic in.

My mechanic salvaged an astromech droid after a combat we had early in the campaign. I spent several sessions working on it in my character's free time. After "completion," the droid was able to assist me. It has no stats and the GM always describes what it does after I give the droid a command and usually it simply adds a [BOOST] to my checks in a sort of Right Tools for the Job role.

The droid is really only vulnerable if I send it to do something stupid or if I roll lots of threat or despair. In essence, it acts like a piece of equipment.

• kaosoe likes this

#27 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

Well from what I could see from the many posts that are up from this thread I started here & in AoR, the NPC Droids are really up to a lot of interpretation and implementation on the GMs since there isnt a clear cut set of rules on how to manage them.  I can understand that they are minion class NPCs and they have a stock set of stats in the book, but there isnt a clear cut rule set on how to use them...as just tools or having their own set of stats that isnt a PC per se but can actually do rolls on your behalf for astrogation or mechanics or computers or whatever you have them for to use.  So I would like to see in AoR or some supplement that addresses these issues more concretely.

"Make sure your shields are on Double Front, or you'll get your @$$ shot off!"

#28 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

The R-series.

Great link. I was kinda wondering this myself. They kinda stretched it to make the R2 still seem like the best option.

FootNote's Custom Droids

#29 FuriousGreg

FuriousGreg

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Personally I would love that we could customize them, like an Astromech w/

1-B 3-A 4-I 1s in the rest and skills that will make it a Mechanic/Pilot/Slicer

What are the rules on this???

Because you want a custom Droid that has access to advanced skills and it seems like you want it to be more like an NPC attached to the party rather than just party equipment I'd suggest you build it as a PC and have it earn EXP developing it as any other member of the crew. Any Mods and added equipment are paid for out of the crew's credits and other advancements through EXP are skinned as the party mechanic's "upgrades". This will allow you to give the party more flexibility to customize the Droid's abilities, a greater connection with it, and keep the Droid at the same basic advancement as the rest of the party. Plus you don't have to create any special rules to make it work.

If you only want it to be an object that very occasionally helps out, then just buy a stock Droid and have the party buy upgrades that either the mech installs or a dealer does using the equipment list etc. as a base.

Edited by FuriousGreg, 05 March 2014 - 03:45 PM.

Watch these now. Really, right now. (Oh, there's some naughty language but we're all adults :D here)
http://redlettermedi...phantom-menace/

http://redlettermedi...-of-the-clones/

http://redlettermedi...ge-of-the-sith/

#30 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

I have to admit. I am pretty upset with you all? How come no one, the entire time has told me there is a K9 Droid?!?!?!

This is utterly amazing.

• kaosoe likes this

FootNote's Custom Droids

#31 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:15 PM

http://starwars.wiki...Astromech_droid

This is the link my friend sent me about astromech droids

#32 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

If you don't need the astrogration part, and just want a mechanic droid.

The MK series and G2 droids are also alternatives

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 11/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode II'

Last Update 12/27/14 (long overdue)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS