DROIDS

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Hey all, new to forums so here is a question...

What are the rules about Droids?? Not PCs but purchasing them?  I saw in the CRB that there is a small list of them w/ their prices on them, but it doesnt say what the "Stock" droid stats are.

For example and Astromech R2 has ... stats

A 3PO droid has ... stats etc.

So what are the starting stats for these guys and how could you incorperate them into gameplay?

Personally I would love that we could customize them, like an Astromech w/

1-B 3-A 4-I 1s in the rest and skills that will make it a Mechanic/Pilot/Slicer

What are the rules on this???

#2 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

I'd say it would just depend on the circumstances and what your party was looking for.

If the party in my campaign felt like "We need a slicer droid who's good at computers", then I might whip up an NPC droid with a 3 or 4 in Intelligence and a few of the relevant skills, like you described.

Then I'd price it at something that felt like a good fit--I'd look up the prices for droids shown in the book and base it off that. 

Then I'd have the PCs find a shop and do some Negotiation to purchase it.

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#3 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:31 AM

Well as NPCs they follow the same rules for generating NPCs....

The GM decides what the stats need to be to fill the role needed... and that's it.

So if you want an astromech droid, you explain to the GM what you want, roll a Negotiate or Streetwise check vs. the difficulty the GM specifies...and he hands you a droid.... Triumph/lots of Advantage, you get R2-D2, Despair/lots of Threat, you get Chopper.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#4 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:36 AM

That helps, but what if we want a specific droid to our specific characteristics and later want to upgrade it like PCs or weapons...what are the rules for that?

#5 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd guess they'd use the same rules as cybernetics.  You can already buy standard equipment and define it as an installed system for droid.

Want it to be better at slicing?  Buy it a databreaker and suddenly it's got R2's interface prong.

Want it to have better sensors?  Buy it Electrobinocs + General Purpose Scanner.

Edited by Col. Orange, 27 February 2014 - 10:48 AM.

What's written above is meant with love

#6 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

So if you want an astromech droid, you explain to the GM what you want, roll a Negotiate or Streetwise check vs. the difficulty the GM specifies...and he hands you a droid.... Triumph/lots of Advantage, you get R2-D2, Despair/lots of Threat, you get Chopper.

Or R5-D4 :)

• polyheadronman and R2builder like this

#7 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hey all, new to forums so here is a question...

What are the rules about Droids?? Not PCs but purchasing them?  I saw in the CRB that there is a small list of them w/ their prices on them, but it doesnt say what the "Stock" droid stats are.

For example and Astromech R2 has ... stats

A 3PO droid has ... stats etc.

So what are the starting stats for these guys and how could you incorperate them into gameplay?

Personally I would love that we could customize them, like an Astromech w/

1-B 3-A 4-I 1s in the rest and skills that will make it a Mechanic/Pilot/Slicer

What are the rules on this???

As far as stats go, you refered to the Table 12-1 in the Adversaries chapter of the CRB.  Those prices are for the various NPCs listed in that same chapter, stats and all.  Table 12-1 is on page 409, and the droid stat-blocks are on page 410-412.

Math is such a tool.

#8 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

I saw those...would those be the standard stats used or can we change them?  In other words is that the "Stock" Astromech we can get or can we get a different one?

#9 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

Those are pretty much just stock versions. GMs are free to do whatever they want. If they want a droid with all characteristics maxed to be available for purchase to PCs for 1 credit, they're well within their right.

• cvtheoman likes this

#10 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:27 AM

I have always wondered about this because I really wanted to have a droid sidekick. I was pretty happy that they have remotes in the new books.

"Everything Flows down leash...." -Anonymous 

FootNote's Custom Droids

#11 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:00 AM

I saw in the CRB that there is a small list of them w/ their prices on them, but it doesnt say what the "Stock" droid stats are.

Okay, I must be stupid - but where the heck is the list of droids in the rule book? I would have figured that it'd be in the gear and equipment somewhere, but I'm not finding it. Someone cite me a page number?

#12 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:09 AM

Page 409, you cuddly little penguin, you.

Dunno why, but it's in 'Adversaries'.

Of course, seeing as how many droids are sentient, with even humble gonks capable of feeling affection, fear and pain, it makes one wonder about the morality of buying and selling sentient beings...

Edited by Maelora, 01 March 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#13 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

Of course, seeing as how many droids are sentient, with even humble gonks capable of feeling affection, fear and pain, it makes one wonder about the morality of buying and selling sentient beings...

You can always just buy biological slaves if you prefer.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#14 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:54 AM

Ew. Too much maintanance.

FootNote's Custom Droids

#15 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:09 AM

I'm currently thinking about rules for building a droid. My wife's character wants to build one, much like Anakin did with Threepio. I think it should totally be allowed as long as the PC can collect the parts. Rather than complex rules, I'm thinking an Average mechanics check once the parts are collected. Then I'll start with a base NPC droid of the type the PC wants to build, and raise/lower stats according to the Mech roll results.

I wonder if the Technician book will have more about droids.

Edited by Grimmshade, 01 March 2014 - 03:10 AM.

• kaosoe likes this

#16 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:11 AM

That sounds like a good way to start, Grimmshade. I kinda imagine that Anakin built C3P0 from a standardized set of parts and schematics that might have been collected over time. He's a basic factory-style protocol droid, but he just happened to be assembled from scrounged and purchased parts.

• Grimmshade likes this

#17 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

Ew. Too much maintanance.

No kidding. I cant be bothered to clean the cat box, let alone pick up after a slave!

(Thanks, M. I was a stupid head last night)

• Maelora likes this

#18 Dyslexic Dragon

Dyslexic Dragon

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

These aren't the droids you are looking for...... :D  Had to be said :)

• kaosoe and cvtheoman like this

#19 FootNote

FootNote

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

I am still trying to figure this out. I plan on droids being a big part of my characters future but not sure exactly how to implement them. Would they kind of be a secondary PC you control?

Example: I really loved the relationship Luke had with R2. What I want is for my character to have that kind of relationship with a remote. Sadly the in the new book the remote is only a sight seeing tool really. But if I want to upgrade it so it can slice into computers... not sure how that would work.

FootNote's Custom Droids

#20 Grimmshade

Grimmshade

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

Since anyone can buy a Droid with the prices in the rulebook, or use make up rules to build one, I have no problem just letting the PC's have an NPC droid in their crew. I'd just use the NPC stats.

As for adding things to droids, upgrading, etc., I think I'd use the weapon and vehicle modification rules as a basis, and go from there. Certainly it would require money and/or parts and a Mechanics roll (or computers for the brain.)

Adding something to a droid that could be purchased separately in the  book anyway (say a scanner or something) isn't really going to unbalance the game, so just narratively make it part of the droid.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS