Photo

Is this official confirmation WHRP 3e is dead?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

The PDFs of the boxed sets are a ripoff/scam.  There are no action cards and there are no career sheets or cards.  Signs of faith does not contain the diseases.  Winds of magic does not contain the mutations.  Just a fair warning.

• valvorik likes this

#22 Mental-Mouse

Mental-Mouse

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

So, unless I buy the physical copies there is no way to get some of the careers I want, like Witch. Dastardly!

#23 ahadabans

ahadabans

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

That's the biggest failing of the game IMO.  There should have been details about all the cards in each supplement.  You look at the Sign's of Faith booklet, and there is no information about any of the spell cards or disease cards.  

The cards should have been supplemental, they should not have been required.  I like the cards a lot, but it's bogus that the books are incomplete.

#24 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:49 AM

Or they should just not have bothered with the Guides. They have made it a real hassle for new people to get into the game as it is really confusing to figure out what to get. I would say the easiest rule (until you get a proper grasp of the system) is: Do not buy any "guides" or "vaults". It keeps it nice and simple and allows you to buy all the pieces of the game without overlap.

• cronevald likes this

#25 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I would say the easiest rule (until you get a proper grasp of the system) is: Do not buy any "guides" or "vaults". It keeps it nice and simple and allows you to buy all the pieces of the game without overlap.

Sadly, the Player's Guide has several important rules-fixes in the updated text, so even thought it's a mostly-redundant purchase (and somewhat incomplete) it's actually pretty darned useful for new GMs. What a mess.

• Keeop likes this

#26 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Agreed re the Players Guide having some nice clarifications - e.g., it clarifies the "no spam healing" rules.  Not oodles in my view - I'm a completionist so my "standard" for buying things may be too low for some.  If you looked up stuff here on boards and were happy with your own fixes nothing too vital is there.

That said, you only need ONE copy of it and the Players Guide as pdf is fine as unlike boxed sets etc. nothing on cards is missing.

#27 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Again, there's some value in practically every piece of the line except for the Player's Vault, which has one scenario in which you'd need to purchase it.

• GmMichael and GMmL like this

#28 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

One positive thing - since they've got this Warhammer Diskwars product they're flogging, it shows they still have the IP rights to do stuff with the line.

Doesn't mean we will see more WFRP stuff but is a better sign than if they weren't doing anything Warhammer related.

• Keeop, PiltharShokmeister and GMmL like this

#29 captaincutlass

captaincutlass

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:37 AM

Well, apart from the above, the PDF's are abysmal. My PDF reader (acrobat pro!) crashes on them all of the time. It is a royal pain to skim trough them looking up rules. Lucky for me I own almost everything but there are still two thing that bug me without end: the social action cards (which totally suck) and the totally arbitrary unfairness of the stance dice (reckless is always better).

Also, I have six players and myself so I decided to GM 2nd edition because otherwise the game is too chaotic (too many cards & effects to keep track of).

Other than that this is still my favourite game which I would highly recommend to any new player/gm and despite it being currently out of print there are many websites that still offer the starter box. I suspect FFG will not think about a reprint so long as there are still so many boxes available at shops. 

• valvorik likes this

#30 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:12 AM

The PDF's load up reliably on my Kindle Fire but a few of the larger ones take a little longer than most to render. My game is young enough that I haven't run into most of the "problems" I've seen on this board. Fortunately my current group doesn't give a flip about min maxing and optimization so if I'm lucky I'll get a bit more mileage out of it than a typical table with the pathfinder/videogame mindset. I'm mostly just thankful that I was able to find all the physical releases before this latest round of out-of-stock blues. My online retailer of choice got several packs of dice in and that was my last big missing piece.

Edited by GMmL, 07 March 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#31 GrimAndPerilous.com

GrimAndPerilous.com

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

WFRP 3e may be "dead", but ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG (a Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone) is near completion.

Not only that, the public beta is available now in English, while the Spanish translation is under way: http://grimandperilo...om/?page_id=343

#32 Himmelweiss

Himmelweiss

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

What surprises me more is... out of all roleplay forums here on the FFG website, the WFRP forum has the most topics count (only Dark Heresy is somewhat even), which tells me the WFRP community is way more active than for any other roleplay games here on FFG.

So that means: way more customers bought WFRP products, instead of other roleplay products.

So WTF does FFG want?

Edited by Himmelweiss, 02 April 2014 - 12:05 PM.

#33 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,110 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think they want us to go away.  We're just lepers on the doorstep.   :)

togolep-15.jpg

Edited by Emirikol, 02 April 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#34 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Beren's 50 topics about WFRP 4E don't count! :P

humor impaired translation: that's a joke.

• cronevald, Emirikol and PiltharShokmeister like this

#35 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

What surprises me more is... out of all roleplay forums here on the FFG website, the WFRP forum has the most topics count (only Dark Heresy is somewhat even), which tells me the WFRP community is way more active than for any other roleplay games here on FFG.

So that means: way more customers bought WFRP products, instead of other roleplay products.

So WTF does FFG want?

I don't think anybody knows, including FFG and GW themselves!

• GMmL likes this

#36 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:44 AM

And I wish that they will not throw away Warhammer Fantasy licence and still create great games set in it.

Besides WFRP 4e I wish for a

new card game with the feeling of classic Warhammer Quest & Mordheim

Warhammer Quest is a classic, to many fans of Warhammer Fantasy a game that should be remaked not only because of the memories with it but also to get new people into Warhammer. Also such title like Mordheim should get more audience. So why not connect both those and make a completely new game with the feeling of both. FFG has a long list of titles that used interesting mechanics especially when it comes at LCGs. Maybe You could do a cooperative card game with a little play against other players. It all could work very easy for example before every game You would draw a quest/goal card that should be accomplished to end the game. The game plays against players from a deck of event/enemies cards. Players control a group of adventurers that explore locations in search of equipment and to find the goal of the quest. The most important thing is that the game is playing against groups of adventurers but also every group fights for their own. The winner of the game is only one player who first accomplishes the goal or the game could beat all of them. This should be an LCG because it would not require plastic figures and it would be a very easy to add new cards with monthy Quest packs and deluxe expansions. Of course there should fractions in the game and I think that mixing those fractions to make the best playable deck could be handled like Warhammer 40 k Conquest with a wheel of choice.(I really like the idea of it). The most important thing about this idea is the fact that this game could be played from 1 to 4 players, so You could always try out your deck in a solo game and later against other players in the race to goal.

Of course such a game does not need to be a LCG but could be as good a board game (maybe similar to Runebound) or a stand alone card game.

Please FFG consider making such a game.

Cheers

Beren Eoath

Edited by Beren Eoath, 06 April 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#37 egibbs

egibbs

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

It's definitely not ideal, but the "Guides + Vaults" approach is still in print and easily available from both this site and Amazon. All three guide books plus the Player's Vault and Gamemaster's Vault gives you all the stuff you need, including cards and dice. All put together it's a little more expensive than the single boxed set, but you'll have more stuff in the long run. Again, the big box is the best way to get right into it, but the three guide books plus the dice app can get you rolling just as well!

Edit: Sorry I posted this before reading page two, so some of my observations aren't so observant!

Edited by egibbs, 10 April 2014 - 02:20 PM.

• GMmL likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS