Photo

Is this official confirmation WHRP 3e is dead?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

I emailed FFG Support 2 days ago:

To: On Feb 25, 2014, at 2:47 PM, "FFG Customer Service" <customerservice@fantasyflightgames.com>

Are you still making the Core set? No store including yours has it for purchase

Sent from my iPhone

This is the reply I received:

Archon007,

We are currently sold out of the Big Box Core Set.

We have not officially announced publicly a new reprint date.  Keep your eyes on our upcoming page (http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_upcoming.asp) for all of the latest on reprints and releases.

Regards,

Kalar Komarec
Fantasy Flight Games Customer Service Team

Edited by archon007, 27 February 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#2 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

That's a stock response. Like their other games, official confirmation will come the day the product page and this forum gets moved to the archive section and is no longer listed with their live materials.

• GmMichael likes this

#3 archon007

archon007

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

That's a stock response. Like their other games, official confirmation will come the day the product page and this forum gets moved to the archive section and is no longer listed with their live materials.

Yes, but it's been out of stock for a long, long time and still no reprint. It would be nice if they did say something officially one way or another. You can't get the game any longer from them as of right now so it's not hurting their sales by saying something. In fact if they are still supporting the game and came out and said that they would probably get some sales from it.

#4 Keeop

Keeop

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yes, but it's been out of stock for a long, long time and still no reprint. It would be nice if they did say something officially one way or another. You can't get the game any longer from them as of right now so it's not hurting their sales by saying something. In fact if they are still supporting the game and came out and said that they would probably get some sales from it.

Holiday sale wiped out a lot of stock here and CSI/MM sold the last of theirs a few months ago. I'll agree it's a bummer to see. I'd love for all the folks coming over from Star Wars to be able to hop on board. Maybe try Barnes and Nobles? There's two of them sitting on the shelf at my local store. Communication from FFG is a tough nut. We really don't know what's happening until it's happening. Frustrating.

Edited by Keeop, 27 February 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

The PDFs are forever available...  

Along with the dice app, you can play no trouble.  https://googledrive....ollers/wfrp3e/#

• Keeop and GmMichael like this

#6 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I'm glad I got an extra box set that isn't even open yet as a back up.

#7 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

I know, right? I'm not too tech savvy, being an older player so PDF's don't appeal to me. I want to unbox it, and smell the new-ness! Plus one of the highlights of 3e are the component pieces. I would love to buy the core set. Currently, I don't see much point investing in WFRP if there's going to be a new edition. I may as well learn the newer version, and not have any nostalgia, "Nth edition was better" etc, etc.
No stock is no good.
But if FFG do come out with a definitive, "this is no longer supported", will the remaining core sets go to dizzying heights (price-wise) on eBay etc.
Should I purchase it now regardless? Quandary!

#8 khaali

khaali

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:25 AM

I don't see much point investing in WFRP if there's going to be a new edition. I may as well learn the newer version, and not have any nostalgia, "Nth edition was better" etc, etc.
No stock is no good.
But if FFG do come out with a definitive, "this is no longer supported", will the remaining core sets go to dizzying heights (price-wise) on eBay etc.
Should I purchase it now regardless? Quandary!

It depends mainly when you want to play.

If (if!) FFG makes a new edition of WFRP, they won't work on it soon, they're too busy with the Star Wars RPGs. Then there will be time for actual dev and playtest.

So you won't have a 4th edition before the end of 2015. Then, it will take 2 more years to have enough stuff to rival the third edition.

You can wait and start playing in (at best) 2 years (with basic stuff) or 4 years (with a complete system as rich as 3rd edition), or you can buy 3rd edition and start playing today.

Edited by khaali, 28 February 2014 - 04:27 AM.

• Johann Rowlocks likes this

#9 ahadabans

ahadabans

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Even if the game is not being supported with future supplements, does it really matter all that much?  I never understood why guys cared so much.  If you like the system, play it.  Even if a new version comes out, there is nothing requiring you to upgrade.  This isn't an iPhone OS where you will eventually be forced to use it because all your apps will eventually not support the version you are on.  No one can take WFRP 3 away from you at any point in the future.

There are guys still running AD&D 1st edition which has been out of print for 20 years.  It's not like the game suddenly stopped working just because TSR and Gary Gygax are both gone.  Same thing is true for WFRP 3.  I think it's a great system and I intend on playing it for a long time whether FFG supports it or not.  They made enough material for it and the game is easily modded because the ruleset is simple.  Any fluff I need I can pull from the community or from previous (or future) editions.  Or I can just make it up as I see fit.  

If a 4th edition comes out and it's better, I will play it.  If it's worse (like D&D 4th), I will pretend it doesn't exist and keep playing 3rd edition.  

• cronevald and valvorik like this

#10 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

Even if the game is not being supported with future supplements, does it really matter all that much?  I never understood why guys cared so much.  .  

Because people get a rush out of buying stuff.  (you must not be married yet ;)    

The only concern I've ever had with games that have ended their cycle, is that the players have a harder time finding players handbooks and in this case, DICE.  Since the PDFs are out and I have bucketloads of dice, and a dice program readily available, this is no longer a concern.

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 28 February 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#11 ahadabans

ahadabans

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

That's fair.  Dice is a valid concern actually.  

I like buying stuff as much as the next guy.  But I also appreciate not having to continually buy stuff to stay "current" (a big problem with collectable card games in particular).  Your point is well taken though.  

#12 arscott

arscott

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Even if the game is not being supported with future supplements, does it really matter all that much?  I never understood why guys cared so much.  If you like the system, play it.  Even if a new version comes out, there is nothing requiring you to upgrade.  This isn't an iPhone OS where you will eventually be forced to use it because all your apps will eventually not support the version you are on.  No one can take WFRP 3 away from you at any point in the future.

There are guys still running AD&D 1st edition which has been out of print for 20 years.  It's not like the game suddenly stopped working just because TSR and Gary Gygax are both gone.  Same thing is true for WFRP 3.  I think it's a great system and I intend on playing it for a long time whether FFG supports it or not.  They made enough material for it and the game is easily modded because the ruleset is simple.  Any fluff I need I can pull from the community or from previous (or future) editions.  Or I can just make it up as I see fit.  

If a 4th edition comes out and it's better, I will play it.  If it's worse (like D&D 4th), I will pretend it doesn't exist and keep playing 3rd edition.  

Keep in mind, there are plenty of folks who are just discovering this system because of FFG's Star Wars games.  It's no good telling them "just be satisfied with what you have", because the core box is out of print.

#13 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

That's kind of the sad thing. I've seen more postings on these forums since star wars came out.. and a LOT of new players.  Suddenly the core box is out of print.

It's frustrating because I want others to share in the fun :)

#14 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Indeed, though at least one of the local game stores here in TO still has at least one core box on display.

I love this game.  Bought multiple extra dice packs when I could etc.

In terms of FFG, I'm no expert at reading tea leaves.  I too asked customer service and they said they could confirm/deny nothing.  My overall take is that FFG used to talk about things coming well in advance and then didn't meet targets and got savaged so moved to not talking up stuff till it was "done deal" coming out.  They gave no pre-notice of any of the PODs for example.

That said, I wouldn't count on more stuff in terms of delaying coming up with house rules etc.  For example, if you wished there was a POD for another faith or school of magic, get 2nd edition Tome of Salvation or Realm of Sorcery (pdfs still for sale, I believe you can order print on demand from FFG as well - you get soft back not hardback if you do but otherwise quality of what I got that way was good) and extrapolate (you can see many of the spells in PODs were based off ones in those texts).

#15 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

I did all the listwork already here:  http://community.fan...and-expansions/

#16 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

That's kind of the sad thing. I've seen more postings on these forums since star wars came out.. and a LOT of new players.  Suddenly the core box is out of print.

It's frustrating because I want others to share in the fun :)

This is my point exactly. I don't have the core set. I haven't found anywhere that has stock. I'm not in the USA.
So I'm wondering whether to wait and buy it new. Or pick up a second hand copy on eBay. And if I wait what happens to the price on eBay, and maybe another edition is released any way?? It's a significant investment for me, especially when postage is factored in.

#17 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

No one knows what FFG is thinking and they will not say anything until they are ready to release it or end it.

We can only speculate that looking at it all the game will not be supported any more.

The official anwsers are just the ones that say - we are not working on anything now, we are not planing anything and if a reprint comes look at Upcomming page.

So nothing new here, FFG is not interested at this point in this game.

#18 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

In response to the OP, no it is not confirmation that it is dead. Check the product availability for Horus Heresy, Battlelore 1st edition and Fury of Dracula. Next to each is a big red box with and "x" in it that states it is not available and none are listed on the Upcoming page at all.

Compared to WFRP, where there are orange boxes with "Not Yet Available" and that the core set, and a couple of other products are listed as being in queue to be reprinted.

I can only guess, but FFG is not done entirely with 3rd edition. It may be they are designing a smaller, cheaper intro set and adjusting a few of the rules. I think one of the biggest speedbumps for the game was the sticker shock at the base set. I shied away awhile until a combination of coupons and gift cards made it happen.

If a 4th or 3.5 come out I imagine it will be compatible or easy to adjust.

#19 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

Also, just want to add that Fury of Dracula not being available is a tragedy.

#20 Mental-Mouse

Mental-Mouse

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

The PDFs are forever available...  

Along with the dice app, you can play no trouble.  https://googledrive....ollers/wfrp3e/#

I'd be interested int he PDFs but I am a bit unclear on what they call contain. I reckon they don't come with the fiddly bits but would the ones that have careers in them still come with a pdf of the career card?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS