Boba Fett Armor

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Jango actually gets a nice clean cut right under his helmet, where there's no protective plates:

http://youtu.be/BY2FpPGrC-w?t=8m18s

#42 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Indeed... but the cortosis weave is throughout the whole armour. In truth, we never saw the cortosis weave being effective in any capacity in any of the films.

Then again, I suppose a single hit from Mace Windu, coupled with multiple advantages could have activated a critical hit that saw Fett's head separated from his shoulders, even if the soak was still factored in.

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target; Edge of the Empire: Fly Casual

#43 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

neither jango or early boba had beskar in their armor from what I remember.

#44 Sturn

Sturn

• Members
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

I don't think Jango Fett's armour had cortosis weave. Just ask Mace Windu...

I agree, but we don't currenlty have many attachments to pick from as I pointed out when I selected Cortosis Weave...

5 Hard Points. Using Core, there isn't much to pick from. Perhaps later with more options I would adjust what I picked, but not wanting to make house rules and skimming over Boba's wookiepedia entry I pick: Cortosis Weave (2 hard points, probably already applied when obtained by Jango), Thermal Shielding System (1 hard point, his jumpsuit plus new coatings on the armor), Enhanced Optics Suite w/Vigilance mod (1 hard point, his badass helmet), Heating System (1 hard point, again the jump suit?).

Would it have been better to make Boba's armor be Strength Enhancing (powered armor) for the same 2 Hard Points? We really need more appropriate attachments to make some of the things we see in the movies or read in EU.

In terms of the "best armour in the game" --that's no longer the case. Dangerous Covenants now gives players access to Power Armour (Soak 3, Defense 1, increases Brawn and Athletics, and has built in sensors); There's also Steelskin Armor (Soak 3), and the Protector 1 Combat Armor, which is a less encumbering form of the Heavy Battle Armour from the CRB. So there are more choices out there.

I know we want more weapons and armor, but some of the supplements are beginning to mess with the beauty of the base system, especially the attachments. We already had Power Armor, for example. It was Laminate or Heavy Battle Armor with the Strength Enhancing System attachment. Now we apparently have Power Armor with better Soak then Heavy Battle Armor and what appears to be a free (from spending hard points), more advanced, Strength Enhancing System. If Power Armor has even 3 Hard Points standard then Heavy Battle Armor and the core Strength Enhancing System attachment just became obsolete.

I would prefer a few more "base" armors which haven't been covered by core and lots more armor attachments. For example, the "Power Armor" of the CRB could have easily been a named suit of "Juggernaut 510 Power Armor" then described as Heavy Battle Armor with the Strength Enhancing System attachment and a new Target Acquisition attachment already factory installed (with a note on increased cost and 3 hard points being already used up).

More attachments and missing standard weapons (bow, slugthrower carbine) and armor please, not cool gear creep that is gutting what we got in the core book.

Edited by Sturn, 28 February 2014 - 09:08 PM.

#45 LordBritish

LordBritish

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:55 AM

Yeah, plus you got to figure no matter what you stick at a weak joint, it's still a pretty weak joint. If a lightsaber gets stuck somewhere where theres only a thin layer of protection it will slice through. It's simliar principle to blast resistant doors in Episode 1, designed to stop blasts, but a determined lightsaber can eventurally cut through practically anything.

That being said, I don't see Cortosis weave as far as films goes. It's largely EU and game machanics which is fair enough.Though even the game goes as far to state that "the cost typically isn't worth the effect", since all it does is offer relative protection from a limited range of weapons. A very nice bonus, as immunity to breach turns a lightsaber from 10 damage +success to the face, to "take 8-5 damage, plus successes"

Though kind of the difference between 1 shooted and potetially not being a B1 battle droid. After all, Jango took quite a beating before Mace Windu delivered the killing blow, and if a lightsaber can cut through a blast door with time and effort, I imagine any thin weave around his neck wouldn't have stood a chance. Simply a case of "you take off Jangos remaining wounds, sundering the head from his body." Personally, at best it's a background thing and at worst the wearve simply wasn't considered. I thought Jango was extremely stupid for diving into a fight full of glowsticks.

That being said, doesn't hurt to take it for a badass bounty hunter, at least until they release more armour themed gadgets.

Edited by LordBritish, 01 March 2014 - 04:56 AM.

• Col. Orange likes this

#46 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

I know we want more weapons and armor, but some of the supplements are beginning to mess with the beauty of the base system, especially the attachments. We already had Power Armor, for example. It was Laminate or Heavy Battle Armor with the Strength Enhancing System attachment. Now we apparently have Power Armor with better Soak then Heavy Battle Armor and what appears to be a free (from spending hard points), more advanced, Strength Enhancing System. If Power Armor has even 3 Hard Points standard then Heavy Battle Armor and the core Strength Enhancing System attachment just became obsolete.

I actually disagree on the last point. Power armour is highly restricted and very specialized. It has a rareness value of 9, rather than rarity 7 for Heavy Battle Armour. It's more expensive, and proportionately that much more so when rareness factors come in. Secondly, while it may have 3 hard points, it has fewer customization options. Adding a second strength modifier would also be four purple dice, rather than the three basic as a similar system is already installed.

Lastly, power armour of that level is clearly a combat-only kind of application. Someone don't walk into a Cantina looking for a drink in such a get up. Someone wearing Heavy Battle Armour by contrast might convey "don't mess with this guy" but it's not unheard of for someone to come in such gear.

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target; Edge of the Empire: Fly Casual

#47 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Heck, there were guys in spacesuits in the Mos Eisley cantina!

• Sturn likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#48 Deimos119

Deimos119

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hate to res a dead topic but isn't the listed enc. for when it's carried, and3 lower when worn?

#49 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:35 AM

Hate to res a dead topic but isn't the listed enc. for when it's carried, and3 lower when worn?

Yes.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS