Edge of Empire core book on pdf

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

While I'm seeing the word "never" get thrown around a lot within the context of FFG Star Wars PDFs, none of us are privy to the details of the licensing deal between Lucasfilm and FFG, to include duration. My point is simply that the answer isn't "never" so much as "not right now, but possibly at some undetermined point in the future as Disney re-evaluates the license."

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#22 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

While I'm seeing the word "never" get thrown around a lot within the context of FFG Star Wars PDFs, none of us are privy to the details of the licensing deal between Lucasfilm and FFG, to include duration. My point is simply that the answer isn't "never" so much as "not right now, but possibly at some undetermined point in the future as Disney re-evaluates the license."

True, but it's not gonna happen with this edition of the game and there's a lot of legal weirdness to hash through.

We don't know things like what exactly "electronic games" mean legally speaking, how changing the language to allow e-books would effect other parts of the license, how hard EA will be willing to fight to keep the license the way it is, if Mickey is getting his grubby little claws involved at Lucasfilm or just just letting them make all the moneys the way they always have, if FFG cares enough to push for a changeor is perfectly happy selling dead trees...

It's all too fuzzy, but it is clear that not much is likely to change soon enough to get EotE on a legal, officially produced PDF.

Edited by Ghostofman, 25 February 2014 - 11:03 AM.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#23 Dbuntu

Dbuntu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

That's the world we're in unfortunately. If people want to pirate pretty much anything, they're going to find a way. J K Rowling wouldn't put the Potter books up as ebooks for a long time, quoting piracy concerns, even though they were already all available as perfect PDF's. Meanwhile, every time someone went to kindle or ibooks and searched for Harry Potter and didn't find it was potentially a lost sale.

The PDF's would be great for convenience, but you can't beat that beautiful big book! 

That's a tough place to be in for a business, but it's pretty shitty as a customer too. When I got a Kindle a few years ago I intended to buy all seven HP books that day in the ebook format (despite already owning them in hardcover). They weren't for sale, but they were definitely up on torrent sites.

Or Rolad Dahl books as a US customer (which again, I already own dead tree versions of). Only UK customers can purchase the digital editions and I can't just go to amazon.uk either becaues I activated my Kindle in the US. Guess where I was able to find them without hassle regardless of my geography?

I know that there is a culture to pirate, but I absolutely loathe when restrictions are put in place to stop pirating. They don't keep people from pirating materials, but they do make it more difficult for people like me to get the products I want to pay for. I'm basically willing to pay twice! Once for the physical copy and again for the easy access of digital editions. And I know I'm not the only one.

Sorry for the rant. It's a major pet peeve of mine. Don't even get me started about the terrible pricing model for ebooks.

• NicoDavout likes this

#24 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

I remember seeing a thread on RPGnet about a business where you send them in your hard copy of a book and they make it into a pdf for you and destroy the hard copy. IIRC, it was considered legal since you still only ended up with one copy since you 'format shifted' or something like that.

• Crimson Death and MosesofWar like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#25 MosesofWar

MosesofWar

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:11 PM

I wouldn't mind doing this. I prefer .pdf's since typically I GM online games and I could have the book with me at all times.

“I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master”

#26 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

It's called 1DollarScan and the prices seem pretty reasonable for a single pdf. I can't imagine doing this enough to want their Platinum Membership, but somebody might. Shipping your book to California might be an added cost issue if you don't live in the USA.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#27 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Doing that might give me the excuse I've been looking for to buy the more recent edition of the rulebook!

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#28 AgentJ

AgentJ

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

I just want the ability to transfer my book (yes mine, I bought it with the money I earned from work. In fact I bought two core rule books) into a high quality pdf with the errata added. I don't want to send my book off to someone else to do it, I don't want to down load the pirated pdf, and I don't want to share my pdf with anyone. I just want to know how to make my book into a high quality pdf that I can add the errata to however, I don't know how to do this.

I am not willing to destroy my book to learn, or find out that the software/hardware I have available to me is not good enough quality. Is it really too much to ask to be able to make the book you purchased into a pdf? Where are the instructions to do so? What equipment & software do I need?

Edited by AgentJ, 25 February 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#29 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Does anybody remember the advertisement with the tagline "you wouldn't download a car"? Soon with home 3d printing technology, we will be able to. Just pointing that out. Carry on.
  • NicoDavout likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#30 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

You could always freeze yourself in carbonite and wake up in a couple years. I'm sure down the road, FFG will finally be able to do digital downloads, but for now, there's no indication of that happening for a while.

I'd bet that it won't be until sales start to really skyrocket (possibly with Age of Rebellion's core release and Star Wars: Rebels providing some synergy - but more likely with Force & Destiny's core and Episode VIII) that they'll see not only a huge increase in profits, but the need to create digital downloads, and finally push them to try and get something worked out with EA.

#31 Kyla

Kyla

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

I just want the ability to transfer my book (yes mine, I bought it with the money I earned from work. In fact I bought two core rule books) into a high quality pdf with the errata added. I don't want to send my book off to someone else to do it, I don't want to down load the pirated pdf, and I don't want to share my pdf with anyone. I just want to know how to make my book into a high quality pdf that I can add the errata to however, I don't know how to do this.

I am not willing to destroy my book to learn, or find out that the software/hardware I have available to me is not good enough quality. Is it really too much to ask to be able to make the book you purchased into a pdf? Where are the instructions to do so? What equipment & software do I need?

I'd use MS Publisher.  I use publisher all the time to produce game packets for my PCs.

A girl only needs three things in life; a drink to make her strong, a man to make her weak, and good friends to pick her up when the other two knock her on her ass.

Rebels: 14 Xw, 7 Yw, 2 Aw, 2 Bw, 2 Z95, 1 HWK, 1 YT1300, 1 MedT, 2 CR90

Imperials: 13 T/ln, 3 T/sa, 3 T/in, 2 T/x1, 2 T/d, 2 V38, 1 Firespray, 1 Imp Shuttle

#32 Dbuntu

Dbuntu

• Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:05 AM

I'd use MS Publisher.  I use publisher all the time to produce game packets for my PCs.

Tell us more!

I've never used Publisher. 

#33 Yivrael

Yivrael

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

Not being able to purchase a digital product/PDF is almost laughable in the year 2014.  Maybe they could release it on VHS and have it read aloud by someone clever from the 80's...maybe Shatner has some free time.

#34 Internutt

Internutt

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Not being able to purchase a digital product/PDF is almost laughable in the year 2014.  Maybe they could release it on VHS and have it read aloud by someone clever from the 80's...maybe Shatner has some free time.

But they only have the license for printed RPG books. The free PDFs fall under free extra material/tools loopholes. FFG COULD release a PDF of the EotE books, but then Lucasarts would take them to court and FFG as a company, at best would only lose the Star Wars license. At worse cease to exist as a company entirely.

#35 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

Why not Hamil he's about as busy...

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#36 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

Sadly its a holdover from the time the original liscence was created, when there was no such thing as a .pdf.

Technology has changed (and changes) more rapidly than laws can keep up. I don't know about other countries, but here it is (though this may have changed) technically illegal to copy music to an mp3 player such as an ipod. This is of course not enforced, but the law was written in such a way that prohibits this as it was written long before the technology existed.

So you may say it is laughable, but you really should try to see the issue with all the factors of changing technology, copywrite law as well as liscence agreements that have not changed in decades.

The liscence hasn't been changed simply because Star Wars is a niche market, admittedly a large niche but still, roleplayers are another niche market. Now when you factor in the number of star wars fans that are also tabletop roleplayers and compare that to those that are not and play video games you'd likely see how relatively few of us there are. So to redo a license contract for such a small group is not worth the effort currently. The good of the many outweighs the good of the few.

It is not so much a laughable issue, as we as star wars table top roleplayers are not a large enough demographic to warrent the change.

We're like Cloud City's mining operation, to small to get noticed by the mining guild or the empire.
  • MosesofWar likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#37 Venthrac

Venthrac

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

To the original poster, may I recommend reviewing this thread:

http://community.fan...ons-about-eote/

• jburgos likes this

#38 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:17 AM

I scrape five foot and a hundred pounds out of the shower, and carting around this colossal tome has given me arm muscles like a Russian weightlifter.

And it doubles as a lethal weapon should I ever get attacked. That thing's gotta be Cumbersome 3, Dmg 10, Crit 1, right?

Plus, as handy as a pdf would be, I find pdf sucks.    Nothing like the feel and scent of a book for me. Kids, you don't know what you missed.  

• That Blasted Samophlange, Venthrac and kaosoe like this

#39 Dyslexic Dragon

Dyslexic Dragon

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:45 AM

PDF versions would also fix the delay issues for other countries still waiting on the paper versions!!!! I would happly buy a PDF version as the only other book that has become available here in Australia has been Beyond the Rim! :angry:

But since Di$ney now own $tar War$ they will gaurd it very heavly and with PDF are easy to pirate I do not see it in their intrest to release PDF versions. Even thou there are pirated PDF versions about. Its a catch 22. Even is FFG did get the right to release PDF I believe the license for it would make the books and PDF versions more expensive.

We pay FFG, FFG pays Di$ney. :)

#40 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

As has been noted, it's an issue with the way the contract is worded, with PDFs falling under "electronic media" and thus was the domain of LucasArts prior to the Disney purchase.

It's hoped that with LucasArts being all but dismantled, when it comes time to renew their contract for the Star Wars gaming license that FFG is able to get PDF rights included as part of the package.  It might require a higher percentage of their earnings on the licensed material be paid to LucasFilm/Disney, but I've little doubt that the increased volume of sales from being able to offer PDF versions would offset that cost... provided it's not too steep.  Back in 2010 when the contract was signed, getting the rights for PDFs was likely on par with the cost for the printed versions, and with an untried system that could have very well bombed (imagine if folks really didn't take to the narrative dice system).  But now that it's been proven a success, with the second core rulebook on the way and the third one slated for next year, things won't be as sketchy for FFG in terms of how the product line is going to do, as they'll have hard numbers to determine if the extra cost to be able to publish/sell PDFs is worth it.  I suspect it would be, but I'm just an old gamer making a semi-educated guess.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS