Edge of Empire core book on pdf

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 jburgos

jburgos

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

Any word on whether FFG will be putting this on drivethroughrpg as they have with their other books?

Member of RPG Lab

#2 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Any word on whether FFG will be putting this on drivethroughrpg as they have with their other books?

Yes, we have word about this. The word is "no".

#3 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Never. The license ffg has classifies pdfs of game books as "electronic games" meaning its under the video game license, not the RPG/minis license, ffg isn't allowed to make PDFs without cutting a deal with the electronic gaming license holder (currently electronic arts).

Go buy the dead tree version.
  • jburgos, themensch and NatemusMaximus like this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#4 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Buy the book. Cut the pages out of it and make your own pdf. It really isn't that hard.

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Buy the book. Cut the pages out of it and make your own pdf. It really isn't that hard.

The cover of my table copy is getting dinged up and the spine is getting loose, so I may just do this if I'm feeling ambitious.

• jaethe77 likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

The cover of my table copy is getting dinged up and the spine is getting loose, so I may just do this if I'm feeling ambitious.

We almost bought another copy just to do it but we're lazy and didn't feel like spending an afternoon scanning pages. It would be so nice to look at it on my phone when I'm bored though...

#7 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

We almost bought another copy just to do it but we're lazy and didn't feel like spending an afternoon scanning pages. It would be so nice to look at it on my phone when I'm bored though...

I have an unemployed stepson with a digital arts/media degree that owes me for room and board, so I won't be wasting an afternoon of my time. Hell, he owes me bookmarks too! :)

• jburgos, UHF, jaethe77 and 6 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#8 Crimson Death

Crimson Death

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

I have an unemployed stepson with a digital arts/media degree that owes me for room and board, so I won't be wasting an afternoon of my time. Hell, he owes me bookmarks too! :)

hahahaha that's cruel. I like it!

#9 jburgos

jburgos

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Thanks guys I was not aware that the license did not allow e-copy. And I did buy the book, just that it's freakin heavy to take to con games ;-)

Member of RPG Lab

#10 MosesofWar

MosesofWar

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

The only other thing about .pdfs is they very easily end up on pirate sites.. While it's nice to get a free .pdf off a pirating site, it absolutely kills the profits the FFG would get and profit loss = no more Edge / other StarWars RPGs their looking to produce.

• Shakespearian_Soldier and NicoDavout like this

“I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master”

#11 jburgos

jburgos

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

http://rpg.drivethru...ufacturers_id=6

• Crimson Death likes this

Member of RPG Lab

#12 GmMichael

GmMichael

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Thanks guys I was not aware that the license did not allow e-copy. And I did buy the book, just that it's freakin heavy to take to con games ;-)

Just wait until you have about 18 splats and 2 more core's to lug around. WFRP with it's kazillion bits will technically be more portable at that point. 

That's where we're at folks. Star Wars: You play it at your house or find a good chiropractor. 

• jburgos, jaethe77 and Jaspor like this

#13 jburgos

jburgos

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

I typically run table tops at con games here in LA and I think I'll stick to the Beginners Game for now to teach new players the game. I think the partability of pdf is handy but if its not going to happen for licensing reasons I understand. Just that most of the other role playing titles from FFG are available on pdf already.

I dont relish carrying those 3 big corebooks: Edge, Age & Force around at a convention ;-)

• GmMichael likes this

Member of RPG Lab

#14 GmMichael

GmMichael

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

I typically run table tops at con games here in LA and I think I'll stick to the Beginners Game for now to teach new players the game. I think the partability of pdf is handy but if its not going to happen for licensing reasons I understand. Just that most of the other role playing titles from FFG are available on pdf already.

I dont relish carrying those 3 big corebooks: Edge, Age & Force around at a convention ;-)

I hear ya, it's ugly. But yeah, FFG are stuck with the same bs that Wizards was as far as digital licensing. I'm glad you at least got the short and polite answer before the Forum Police wake up and arrive with their Snark Batons.

#15 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

I've only had to grab my rulebook twice during the last four hour session we played. I wouldn't sweat it...

• progressions likes this

#16 DanteRotterdam

DanteRotterdam

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'm glad you at least got the short and polite answer before the Forum Police wake up and arrive with their Snark Batons.

Funny how the only snarky remark so far was yours...

• Venthrac likes this

#17 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

I've only had to grab my rulebook twice during the last four hour session we played. I wouldn't sweat it...

Our group has been playing for around 6 months, we very seldom open the book during a session.

As GM, even if I can't quite recall the details of a rule, I just make a decision at the table rather than spend the time to look it up. I'll check it again later and try to commit it to memory for the next time.

• Jegergryte, MrDodger, kaosoe and 1 other like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#18 MrDodger

MrDodger

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

The only other thing about .pdfs is they very easily end up on pirate sites.. While it's nice to get a free .pdf off a pirating site, it absolutely kills the profits the FFG would get and profit loss = no more Edge / other StarWars RPGs their looking to produce.

That's the world we're in unfortunately. If people want to pirate pretty much anything, they're going to find a way. J K Rowling wouldn't put the Potter books up as ebooks for a long time, quoting piracy concerns, even though they were already all available as perfect PDF's. Meanwhile, every time someone went to kindle or ibooks and searched for Harry Potter and didn't find it was potentially a lost sale.

The PDF's would be great for convenience, but you can't beat that beautiful big book! 

Edited by MrDodger, 25 February 2014 - 08:49 AM.

• Jegergryte likes this

#19 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:17 AM

I have mixed feeling about this. I have some PDF files on my iPad. Some may have been acquired in a Nar Shaddaa back alley.  Some are professional grade PDFs. But either way, I still cant get used to reading things like that, even ebooks, on my iPad. For a professional grade PDF, the search text, and the ability to cut and paste is invaluable on my PC. With scanned documents, it is just, eehh. I'm old fashioned, and I love my book collection, some of you may have seen my gaming room pics on here. I like to have the books in my hand. But electronic books is the way of the future. I'm pretty sure that the next round of Star Wars RPG games licensing will include this electronic ebook format somehow. FFG can do the print on demand stuff right now, so at least it is one tiny step.  I would be interested to see numbers and facts about selling, piracy and the cost of doing business with the paper books and the ebooks in the gaming world. 

Why aren't libraries considered physical "Pirate Bays"? :P  

Edited by R2builder, 25 February 2014 - 09:19 AM.

• jaethe77, MosesofWar and jerrypocalypse like this

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#20 MosesofWar

MosesofWar

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

Why aren't libraries considered physical "Pirate Bays"? :P  

Maybe because they have a handful of copies that one person can read, rather than one copy than an infinite amount of people can read. But true, they function of a same principle: file sharing.

“I’ve been waiting for you, Obi-wan. We meet again at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner. Now I am the master”

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS