Group Positive Thinking

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 VladVoivode

VladVoivode

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

Letter in progress to FFG; petition site almost ready!

I saw the comment about Runebound being PvP. Wrong! As stated, in multiplayer it's a race and if you waste time engaging in PvP combat remember that the world's "clock" is ticking; this isn't Talisman where you have all the time in the world to screw over your opponent.

Lastly, Runebound plays beautifully as a solo game. Try it using the Doom track or the Threat counter. You have to balance between leveling up in encounters and getting to cities to get good loot. I wonder if the person who mentioned Runebound as being meant originally for PvP was thinking of Runewars as that game is absolutely PvP.

• SolennelBern and TheShinra like this

#42 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:15 PM

Oh, well when I meant "PvP" I meant "competition," and yeah, a race more than direct confrontation. It's just that there isn't a "ticking clock," it's a grinding race for XP. You can take all the time in the world as long as your opponents take the same. It's quite a good race for those who appreciate it - if your opponent starts pushing for yellows and blues, you'll have to do the same. Theoretically, it can create quite a tense race.

It's just that in practice, it may be difficult to find people who think watching others grind stats is entertaining, which is where some of the negativity comes from. In comparison to Talisman (which has its own share of criticisms), at least there are different types of encounters and ways to level up apart from XP grinding.

For those who can tolerate watching other people fight, Runebound is quite a good multiplayer race game because you're encouraged to keep up with the most bold opponent.

And yeah, it does play beautifully as a solo game, but it does require house rules at the moment. Like I said, if FFG recognizes this and puts official solo rules, then it can be "officially" marketed as a solo adventure. It's kind of like buying the Conversion Kit for Descent: Second Edition without owning the original game. Out of the box, it's not attractive at all, but if you don't mind using some house rules and proxies it's a great value.

#43 VladVoivode

VladVoivode

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 05:43 AM

Oh, well when I meant "PvP" I meant "competition," and yeah, a race more than direct confrontation. It's just that there isn't a "ticking clock," it's a grinding race for XP. You can take all the time in the world as long as your opponents take the same. It's quite a good race for those who appreciate it - if your opponent starts pushing for yellows and blues, you'll have to do the same. Theoretically, it can create quite a tense race.

It's just that in practice, it may be difficult to find people who think watching others grind stats is entertaining, which is where some of the negativity comes from. In comparison to Talisman (which has its own share of criticisms), at least there are different types of encounters and ways to level up apart from XP grinding.

For those who can tolerate watching other people fight, Runebound is quite a good multiplayer race game because you're encouraged to keep up with the most bold opponent.

And yeah, it does play beautifully as a solo game, but it does require house rules at the moment. Like I said, if FFG recognizes this and puts official solo rules, then it can be "officially" marketed as a solo adventure. It's kind of like buying the Conversion Kit for Descent: Second Edition without owning the original game. Out of the box, it's not attractive at all, but if you don't mind using some house rules and proxies it's a great value.

You make some valid points but again I would just remind you that if you use the Doom Track or some type of threat tracker, the game really does take on a sense of urgency.

What makes Runebound so very cool is that you have to make choices because that Doom Track is ever growing; it's a harbinger of the coming destruction. In that way, Runebound feels very much like the best high fantasy novels. Think (obviously) of The Lord of the Rings, or Terry Brooks' Shannara series. There is a threat looming to obliterate everything. As much as people may say it's a tired trope, it isn't because that threat hangs over us in our every day world - just ask a Ukrainian.

Anyhow, if you don't play with a Doom Track then yes, you can take all of the time you desire and faceroll Margath. And I will concede that multiplayer can be weak when you add in more than two or three players. I agree as well that some rule tweaks would help to speed the 4+ player game.

I play a bit of solo and also two player and every game has been unique and every game has literally come down to the wire - as it should be IMHO. :)

Also don't forget the variants like travel hazards! Those are a blast and perhaps when (I am being very positive) the 3rd edition sees print, travel hazards will become a more integral part of the game. It makes sense doesn't it? Borrowing again from Tolkien and Brooks, if an ancient evil is stirring, there's going to be nasties popping up virtually anywhere in the world.

I also agree that for some people it could be tedious to watch others in combat. For me it's a blast and even more so when players ask for advice as it makes it feel like we are companions with a common purpose. Yes, it should be painfully obvious that I am a "theme" w****e. ;) And I love the unexpected and in that respect both Runebound and Talisman both shine! 

Runebound is an experience. It's not just a dungeon crawler. It's clear that FFG put a lot of thought into the lore and some of the flavor text in Runebound drips with it. With it being hard to find now - especially the small expansions - Mageknight is for me at least the closest experience. It's a great game too but in the long run, I still think that Runebound has the edge as there is so much more that could be done! The Sands of Al-Kalim even broke with normal convention by having as its focus each player essentially creating her/his own story to be remembered in Terrinoth. Watching other players create their stories is a fun experience for me and this too is something that FFG could develop even further.

I know that you love Runebound or you wouldn't have posted in this thread that SolennelBern so kindly started. I believe that after we convince FFG that Runebound is a product that veteran and newcomers want, FFG will look at our suggestions.

Keep the faith and please spread the word about the upcoming petition? Let's not allow this wonderful experience to be forgotten. :)

Namaarie,

Vlad

#44 Tickosity

Tickosity

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:31 PM

I really want a new edition or a reprint to be announced. I've been playing 1st edition and loving it but I would love to get a new edition with expansions and everything. This game took my gaming group by storm when we started playing it, now my Talisman and expansions sit on the shelf a lot more. I just wish that I could get a couple more copies, preferably of a newer print, so that we could get several games going at once.

One thing that keeps getting brought up is the free flowing nature of the game and that it is telling a story while you are playing it, that's another reason why I want to see it in print again so that we can get the expansions and change up the story sometimes.

All in all I just would really love to see another print of this game and I know it would sell several copies in my gaming group alone. And my gaming group and I would be up to signing a petition to let FF know that there is interest out there.

#45 Beckikaze

Beckikaze

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

I will sign the petition for sure and I would buy Runebound 3rd edition instantly. The 2nd edition had a few flaws, but all in all the game is too good to let it die.

• TheShinra likes this

#46 TheShinra

TheShinra

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:27 PM

I would love to buy Runebound 2nd Ed. and if that isn't possible, a 3rd Ed. would be great too! I don't buy many games but I've played this one a few times with a friend who lives days away and it's easily one of my favourites. I can't play with anyone else because....Its out of print! You are definitely missing out on sales, as I said I only want this game!

#47 Framboos

Framboos

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

I recently discovered Runebound (after playing Rune age) only to discover the game is nearly impossible to get in The Netherlands. I would love to get my hands on any edition and would welcome a 3rd edition very much. So let me add some positive thinking to the group! 

Edited by Framboos, 05 June 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#48 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:40 PM

I'm signing!

#49 VladVoivode

VladVoivode

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Okay all, we have three pages just in this thread. I am going to do one last scour of the rest of the Runebound forums this week and then get the petition site ready to go.

I truly believe we can get this done and strangely, it was the announcement of a new edition of Dungeonquest that I think is an encouraging sign that FFG has not abandoned older games.

So please contact any gamers you know that you think would be interested in Runebound - either a 2nd edition reprint or a new 3rd edition and get them to add their voice here and to the petition site that I will link here hopefully next week!

Terrinoth awaits!!!!!!!

• SolennelBern likes this

#50 xodarap

xodarap

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

Excellent responses so far! What I am going to do now is comb the threads in this part of FFG's fora and post a link to THIS thread to tie up the numerous and scattered threads. 

Having more people post here, plus the letter to FFG and the petition site should prove that a new Runebound would not be a gamble for FFG and its bottom line.

I really believe as a community we can get this done!

Best,

Vlad

PS: Please ask your friends interested in Runbound - whether veteran players or newcomers to the game to add their voices here! :)

Well since you asked I'm a veteran player of Runebound and I have been wanting a 3rd edition as well and then I stopped, shook the mob mentality outta' my head and asked why I wanted it.  The answer is easy.  I want more of what I already have.  I don't really want a new edition as the one I have is one of the best games I've ever played.  From reading these posts though you would think 2nd edition was a sub standard game!  Honestly I don't see how they could improve on Runebound other than by releasing more expansions.  So if FFG does make a 3rd edition I hope that they are compatable and that they just start printing it again.  Getting FFG to just bring back 2nd edition would be easier, since it requires no effort other than production at first.  Seriously do people think that 2nd edition wasn't good enough?  Why then is it going for such a high price when it's found.   

(by the way I'm not QUITE the dedicated gamer, and certainly not the collector that some of you seem to be so if anybody wants to buy all my 2nd ed. stuff for $500.00 I'm IN! That would be all the deck expansions except the alternate win condition decks and 4 of the character decks as well as Sands of Al-Qadim  so all the adventure card and market cards for 2nd ed. are in my set.  It's in excellent condition with all bits and even Plan-O storage containers.  Yeah, it's a great game but turning down that offer would be like saying I'm willing to pay $500 for ANY boardgame.  I'm not.)

"Hastur. Hastur. Hastur. Suck it, my girlfriend is Science!"
-Will Wheaton-

#51 xodarap

xodarap

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:22 PM

I really want a new edition or a reprint to be announced. I've been playing 1st edition and loving it but I would love to get a new edition with expansions and everything. This game took my gaming group by storm when we started playing it, now my Talisman and expansions sit on the shelf a lot more. I just wish that I could get a couple more copies, preferably of a newer print, so that we could get several games going at once.

One thing that keeps getting brought up is the free flowing nature of the game and that it is telling a story while you are playing it, that's another reason why I want to see it in print again so that we can get the expansions and change up the story sometimes.

All in all I just would really love to see another print of this game and I know it would sell several copies in my gaming group alone. And my gaming group and I would be up to signing a petition to let FF know that there is interest out there.

I just wanted to let you know, in case you didn't already that FFG does still have a couple of the board expansions for sale as do many game stores so if you already have the 1st ed that might keep you happy for a bit.  I completely agree that RuneBound should return, I just don't see anything wrong with 2nd ed. or with FFG making it easier and more profitible for themselves with a simple repritnt or at the very least since they invented the process.  Print on demand.  Seriously, why isn't  RuneBound at LEAST Print on demand?

"Hastur. Hastur. Hastur. Suck it, my girlfriend is Science!"
-Will Wheaton-

#52 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Im in for anything to get this guy back going

• SolennelBern likes this

#53 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

I found a first edition with all pieces. What is the difference between 2nd and first edition. I can get this for a steal and next to nothing. i dont think the guy knows what he has but hes just selling a ton of games. 

#54 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

First edition has hero and monster stats that are different, which is something you can't fix yourself. The backs of the cards are also different, meaning you can't mix expansions.

First edition also uses 1d20 instead of 2d10. You could fix this yourself, but I think the monster stats were designed around 1d20, so you might break the game if you change this.

Finally, it has cardboard cutouts instead of plastic miniatures, but that's only cosmetic.

I think if you play the first edition Runebound you will be fine. You'll only run into problems mixing it with expansions. It's better than nothing!

#55 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:40 AM

I finally found a copy! Ebay, 50$ bid or 69$ buy it now. Like new condition and original buyer and has played it once. Pics are very nice looking without any flaws. Second edition to boot. I went ahead and took the dive and got it. Heck for 20 bucks over retail and considering some of them with no buyout and starting at 75$ with frayed box edges and such and ones like Im getting that is like new going for 130-200$ i think I came out good. Should be here Friday. any suggestions on first expansion packs let me know in case I find something on a deal somewhere. Thanks for support guys! Ill be chiming in soon when I get it!

Edited by la1cajun, 06 August 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#56 Heldawn

Heldawn

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:47 PM

Is there any rumors or announcement that they'll bring this wonderful game back?

My board won't last long with the way we play it.

I'm seriously considering taking it to a print shop and getting it printed since the game isn't being sold any more.  

But if they made the game again, I'd definitely buy a new one.

I play with 4 players all the time, it's a blast, just takes a good amount of time.

Edited by Heldawn, 06 August 2014 - 03:49 PM.

#57 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:29 PM

Wow hahahah

XCom, Dungeon Fighter and now SW: Armada...

Where's Runebound?

#58 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Heldawn, there are some things you can do to preserve your game. Sleeve your cards, and buy some Plexiglas to cover your game board.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#59 la1cajun

la1cajun

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Wow, how would you do the plexiglass deal. I know people just lay a piece on tables but are you talking about some cover for the whole thing that it stays in or just the precious deal of placing it on top ? If anyone can answer my new post on carnivorous flora that would be cool. Just figuring how to play it out . I just got the game so I may have a few questions. Just hope this forum stays active. Thanks again. Guys!

#60 mulletcheese

mulletcheese

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

I think FFG should bring this back as a 3rd edition, updated to match the new descent.

I would love if they made it a living board game and released 60 card decks each month like they do with the living card games.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS