Group Positive Thinking

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

I also would like more reprints of 2nd edition or a new 3rd edition. There are some expansions I don't have yet.

I'd be willing to buy a Deluxe 2nd edition to get more stuff even tho I have the base game and a couple of expansions, or invest in a new edition.

I have friends who would like a copy and have to be satisfied with mine.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#22 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

I get so angry when I see FFG announcing games like "The Last Banquet"...

WTF?!?!?!?

• Lilikin and spalanzani like this

#23 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

WTF?!?!?!?

Now, now. That doesn't sound like very "positive thinking." =P
  • Lilikin likes this

#24 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

WTF?!?!?!?

Now, now. That doesn't sound like very "positive thinking." =P

Hahahahah you're right...but what's with FFG releasing light games over light games? The Last Banquet, Age of War, Masques, GoT Westeros Intrigue...sure some look nice but what about RB3 when lots of peeps want it back!

• Lilikin likes this

#25 Lilikin

Lilikin

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

I have put myself on new game strike. Is won't buy another new game (an addon isn't a new game) until they announce RB3e......

You know it!

#26 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have put myself on new game strike. Is won't buy another new game (an addon isn't a new game) until they announce RB3e......

You're in for a world of pain good sir :P

Edited by SolennelBern, 31 March 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#27 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

Considering FFG's business model, I don't think that's a very effective boycott :P
  • SolennelBern likes this

#28 Deornoth

Deornoth

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:04 AM

+1 on this thread, would love to see this done as either a reprint or a new edition.

#29 SolennelBern

SolennelBern

• Members
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

DungeonQuest revised edition... DAMMIT!
Is it a sign, an omen of doom, a carrot on a stick?

#30 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

DungeonQuest revised edition... DAMMIT!
Is it a sign, an omen of doom, a carrot on a stick?

Can't it be all three?

Seriously though, between RB and DQ I would've expected to see a new edition of RB.  So, the fact that they're making a new edition of DQ is certainly promising regarding the odds of a new RB.

On the other hand, between DQ, BL2 and D2E they might feel there's enough product going into Terrinoth for now and lay off for a while...

Just gotta stay positive, eh Sol? :P

#31 countermeasures

countermeasures

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Definitely count me in if a petition happens! I've been scouring the web for that game, but I can't justify paying $100.00 OR MORE for just the core game!

#32 mulletcheese

mulletcheese

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

I'm predicting that a revised edition will be announced this year (November).

At this point it's beyond doubt that it will make a return... but will it be the same?

I hope this works as a campaign system for descent, although it will have to lose a movement icon to fit the descent 2nd edition terrain encounters. Could it also be a campaign system for battlelore?

FFG's new editions have been going for a more thematic approach, which has been a good direction.

#33 guillaumetexas

guillaumetexas

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

On the other hand, between DQ, BL2 and D2E they might feel there's enough product going into Terrinoth for now and lay off for a while...

Indeed, after all, with Relic, Death Angel and Horus Heresy, it's not like Fantasy Flight Games would release a warhammer 40K based card game... that would be too much :P

However, I realize that Dungeon Quest, Descent and Runebound are "kind" of similar games. So FFG may decide not to expand their "exploration type" game too much.

Relic, Death Angel, Horus Heresy and the upcoming Conquest have nothing in common mechanically.

However, having played Mage knight produced by Wizkids recently, I am dying to play Runebound especially as a solo experience.

#34 VladVoivode

VladVoivode

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hi all,

I am readying the petition, the letter, and I'm even going to phone - and international rates are expensive. But, I think we can do this folks! I would like to ask for the next two weeks for everyone here who has stated that she/he will sign the petition to get the word out to gamer friends/acquaintances/enemies who are not registered on FFG but who you think would like to play Runebound to create an account and add their voices here.

Also, when you see other threads about a reprint, PLEASE direct the poster to this thread? I really think it would be a good strategy to have a huge thread to show to FFG.

I really have a LOT of faith that this can happen.

What I will do also is post the letter I will send to FFG here first for community approval and suggestions for editing before I send it to FFG. By then I will have the petition site set up as well.

Best,

Vlad

#35 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

I would say it like this - if FFG will make Runebound 3e it would have to be very, very different then 2e. Why? becouse 2e was not the best adventure game in it's times and now it's a little bit to old. They could do more for this game and change it into a good direction. Looking how successful LCG are and the idea of mixing it with a board game this could take the game into a different direction. A board game with a good card mechanic maybe similar to the WFRP 3e with more then one variant of play would be a very interesting. Custom dice would also make it in plus but they should not be the main mechanic. Adding variant to play solo/co-op or player vs player would make it even better. Setting the game in Terrinoth gives FFG full control of the universe and a free hand to create many content.

If Runebound 3e would be just a upgraded 2e it would be boring and dissapointing from my perspective. The market changed and there's a lot of other great adventure games even in FFG library.

So it all depends on how FFG would make such a game look like,

Cheers

#36 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:57 AM

If Runebound 3e would be just a upgraded 2e it would be boring and dissapointing from my perspective. The market changed and there's a lot of other great adventure games even in FFG library.
So it all depends on how FFG would make such a game look like,

I agree that making RB3e a slightly modified version of RB2e would be disappointing. Fortunately that's not FFG's style, generally speaking. When they release a new edition of something, they usually have more than just superficial changes to make. That said, I've noticed FFG has started popping out "revised editions" of a few games which are exactly that, so here's hoping they don't try for RB2e "revised edition."

Where we part ways, however, is in the idea that RB2e was not a good adventure game. I liked (and still like) RB2e just the way it is. I think it's got plenty of theme and really gives players the freedom to do what they want. That's important to me in an adventure game - the idea that I'm going out and exploring this world rather than following one of a limited series of paths around a board.

The only real complaint I've heard about RB2e (that strikes me as a legitimate problem and not just personal tastes of the complainer) is downtime between player turns. Even that doesn't bother me so much, personally. I suspect that FFG recognizes that, too, which is probably why they're so slow in bringing out RB3e. Sales of RB2e were no longer sufficient to keep it in print, but they haven't worked up enough valid changes that legitimately improve game play in order to make RB3e official.

As for your suggestions, it seems like RB2e already had most of those things in spades:

A board game with a good card mechanic maybe similar to the WFRP 3e with more then one variant of play would be a very interesting.

I'm not familiar with WFRP 3e, but RB2e had a good card mechanic in the challenge card system, IMHO. There were plenty of adventure variant expansions released which changed game play in significant ways, and usually each box expansion added or changed at least a few mechanics as well.

Custom dice would also make it in plus but they should not be the main mechanic.

I don't necessarily get anything special out of a game having custom dice, myself, but RB2e did have the movement dice which were customized, but not part of the main mechanic.

Adding variant to play solo/co-op or player vs player would make it even better.

PvP was admittedly a failing for RB2e. It wasn't done well. Solo, on the other hand, was practically inherent in the game engine. True co-op was also mostly absent, although it would be easy enough to play Mists of Zanaga as a co-op by saying everyone needs to defeat all the primal gods together in order to win as a team.

#37 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

For me it feels like some of the R2e feeling of play  got into Descent 2e. Even the travel icons are there. So it will be hard for FFG to make a Runebound 3e becouse it's have to be a different game from previous editions and other titles set in Terrinoth.

Comming back to my suggestion. By saying custom dice I thought about main mechanic based on those. The card system then I would see as a good action mechanic would be WFRP 3e where each action has a card with recharge, and that card simply says everething You need to know from test to result - this mechanic is good and much more fits a board game then an RPG. Also monsters have special attacks depending on a monster. WFRP 3e even has cards for enviroments which gives special rules depending on where You are. So most of the main mechanic is based on cards.

This all brings me to a thought that maybe Runeboud 3e should go more into an LCG with board game elements then a board game with cards.  I really do not know how to say it but if FFG would like to make it a successfull title - which is clear they would want that - a new edition must get this game into a different direction. There is no LCG set in Terrinoth at this point so maybe Runebound has a chance to evolve into such a game. One think is sure for me I do not want to see an upgrade of Runebound 2e, a revised edition or a clone of other game but only set in Terrinoth.

Cheers

#38 guillaumetexas

guillaumetexas

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

One think is sure for me I do not want to see an upgrade of Runebound 2e, a revised edition or a clone of other game but only set in Terrinoth.

To be fair, I wouldn't care either way. I and many others have discovered this game after it was out of print. Therefore, FFG could just do a reprint of the game and many of us would get it.

Now that Talisman has gotten its final expansion (there are no more corners FFG, let Talisman go), the expansion for Relic is out, so is the expansion for EH, they have new diskwars coming out, I am not sure what else they have on the backburner.

Very likely an expansion for Battlelore 2, that is due pretty soon I would imagine, and that woould put people's interest back on Terrinoth, and Runebound.

Ah, to wait and wait, but then the game will be even sweeter when it comes out, because it will... won't it?

Edited by guillaumetexas, 11 May 2014 - 07:45 AM.

#39 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

I have a feeling people like RB mainly as a solo game. I know I do.
You have to admit, it's structured like a video game (grind outside, rest at cities) and it's not fun watching people grind stats, go on solo quests, and generally not interact with you.

Ironocally, Runebound was meant to be a PvP game and house rules are needed to turn it solo. So rating it highly is kind of like someone rating Talisman highly because they came up with a variant that makes movement less random.

Since out of the box and as-designed Runebound wasn't the best PvP experience, I think if FFG redoes Runebound they will revamp the game mechanics so it can be appreciated on its own merits.

#40 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Ironocally, Runebound was meant to be a PvP game and house rules are needed to turn it solo. So rating it highly is kind of like someone rating Talisman highly because they came up with a variant that makes movement less random.

Not really sure where you're getting this from. The only "PvP" aspect of RB (without character expansions) is the race to the victory condition. It's always struck me as being more like a pick and deliver game, without the deliver part =P

Also, what house rules are needed to make it play solo? RAW plays fine solo, it's just that you already know who's going to win at the start. I assume that's not a high level complaint for most solo gamers =P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS